Sign in or
Dark's Drug Store
In the summer of 1913, Mr. Thomas Dark of Battleford a native of Brussels, Ontario, after apprenticing as a pharmacist for a time in Battleford, Saskatchewan, rented space that had been occupied by The Star General Store and opened up Dark’s Drug Store at 205 Main Street, the current site of Leslie’s Drug Store. With establishing his own pharmacy he began his training in optometry. In 1916, Biggar’s most prominent drug store was placed under new management with Mr. P. A. Hainstock replacing Thos. G. Dark. In 1919, Mr. Dark moved to Edmonton where he pioneered the firm of Dark, Carter and Francis. He died in Edmonton in 1950 .
In January 1937 it was announced Elmer Ford purchased Dark’s Drug Store. With the new owner the drug store got a new name, Ford’s Drug Store.
The Independent, Biggar, Saskatchewan, August 21, 1913, page 1.
The Independent, Biggar, Saskatchewan, October 2, 1913, page 1.
Ad from The Independent, Biggar, Saskatchewan, July 24, 1919.
The Independent, Biggar, Saskatchewan, January 7, 1937.
The Independent, Biggar, Saskatchewan, March 9, 1950, page 1.
Town of Biggar 1926 Tax Assessment, page 6, Dark & Campbell, Block 7, Lot 11.
Latest page update: made by rwchambe
, Feb 25 2009, 4:44 PM EST
(about this update
About This Update
11 words added
1 image added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.