Sign in or
Biggar Cemetery is located 1.5 km. South of Biggar on Highway No. 4. The legal description being SW 1/4, Section 31, Township 35, Range 35, W-3.
Biggar Cemetery is also known as Biggar Memorial Gardens, but the official name is Biggar Cemetery. Biggar Memorial Gardens appears on signage at the north west and south west corners of the cemetery when approaching the cemetery on the highway.
Although records do not exist to verify, interviews with long-time residents tell us the Biggar cemetery was originally located somewhere east of the present townsite, in the vicinity of Prairie Malt, around 4th or 5th Ave. East. Stories have it that prior to 1920, people were requested to relocate the graves of their families to the present location. Stories have it that at least some of the graves were not relocated. There also appears to be many unmarked graves in the southeast corner of the cemetery for which records do not exist.
The earliest death date recorded on a tombstone is 1910. No burial records exist to supply a burial date for this time period.
The Biggar Branch Saskatchewan Genealogical Society recorded the cemetery in 1985 and updated the recording in 2007. Copies of the recording are available at the Town of Biggar, Biggar Museum & Gallery and the Biggar Branch Saskatchewan Genealogical Society. The Biggar Branch SGS also published a book titled Biggar Cemetery Directory with Plot Map in 2007. Copies are available for sale in the gift shop of the Biggar Museum and Gallery.
In August 2008, a plot map of Biggar Cemetery was placed next to the morgue.
This is a link to photographs of the historic Biggar Cemetery Memorial Gate and the historic Biggar Cemetery Gate.
Latest page update: made by rwchambe
, Nov 6 2008, 11:58 AM EST
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by rwchambe
- complete history)
Keyword tags: None
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.